Opening Hours

Mon, Thu: 4pm - 6pm

 

Adress

Pilgrimage-, Parish- and
Silent-Night Museum Mariapfarr
Joseph-Mohr-Platz 1
A - 5571 Mariapfarr

Deutsch | Imprint | Contact

Pilgrimage

The pilgrimage to "Our dear lady" (parish church of Mariapfarr) is an ancient tradition which had ist climax in the baroque era and is still exercised today. In addition to pilgrims from the Lungau and neighbouring areas a lot of "Bittgänger" (pilgrims who pray for a miracle) and "Kreuztrachten" (pilgrims who commemorate the suffering of Christ) used to travel to the mother parish of the Lungau.

Another significant custom was the so-called "Neunkirchenwallfahrt" (nine-churches pilgrimage). This journey started in Mariapfarr and led the pilgrims to the most important churches of the Lungau. The following quote from 1863 is a reminder of this pilgrimage:

"Gar früh um drei Uhr wurde das Zeichen mit der großen Glocke gegeben. In der Ausgangskirche (Mariapfarr) versammelt, beginnt die Kreuzschar ein gemeinschaftliches Lied, betet dann fünf Vaterunser und Ave Maria und trat, die Allerheiligenlitanei singend, in Begleitung eines Priesters den Weg an. In gewissen Kirchen, die man noch am Vormittag erreichte, war auch ein Amt. Die Reihe der besuchten Kirchen war folgende: Althofen, St. Gertrauden, St. Martin, St. Michael, St. Margarethen, St. Leonhard, St. Jakob und St. Andrä. Meistens in der Nacht kam man nach Hause. Die gesamt Wegstrecke ging über 49 Kilometer." (This quote describes a pilgrimage to the major churches of the Lungau, starting in Mariapfarr. The pilgrims started at 3 a.m. and had to walk for 49 kilometers before they returned to Mariapfarr in the evening)

This tradition was revived by the museum association and is now called the "Fünf-Kirchen-Wallfahrt" (five-churches pilgrimage). This pilgrimage leads to the five churches of our parish: Mariapfarr, Göriach, St. Andrä, Althofen and Weisspriach. For further information about upcoming pilgrimages please note our Events Section.