Extracts from the guide book of the parish- and pilgrimage museum:
The first documented church in Mariapfarr was built in 923. The church which dominates Mariapfarr's landscape today was built in the 12th century. Originally, it was designed as a romanesque church and in the 15th century it was rebuilt as a gothic church. Romanesque and gothic frescoes document its history [...]
Other interesting exhibits are frescoes from the 13th and 14th century, which were discovered in 1946. An iconographically important piece of art is the fescoe displaying the "Schutzmantelmadonna" (Madonna) with a "Schmerzensmann" (tortured Christ) in her arms [...]
Peter Grillinger was priest of Mariapfarr from 1419 to 1448; member of the Augustinian monastery St. Bartholomäus in Friesach (Carynthia); capitular of Salzburg and "Kammermeister" of the archbichobric of Salzburg. On October 9, 1444 he certified the transfer of all his property to the church of Mariapfarr (a "Kammermeister" is responsible for the financial matters of a diocese). These documents also the relic-altar of Mariapfarr. The certificate also contains detailed descriptions according to which 108 relics are stored inside the altar [...]
In addition to Mariapfarr's significance as a place of pilgrimage, the above mentioned historically significant representations are one reason why the "Schutzmantelmadonna in stilisierter Form" (stylized Madonna) forms the logo of our museum. Additional information about the history of the church of Mariapfarr can be found in the guide book of our museum or in the guide book of the church, both of which are available in the museum.