Opening Hours

Mon, Thu: 4pm - 6pm

 

Adress

Pilgrimage-, Parish- and
Silent-Night Museum Mariapfarr
Joseph-Mohr-Platz 1
A - 5571 Mariapfarr

Deutsch | Imprint | Contact

The Song

In 1818 the Christmas carol "Silent Night" was performed in Oberndorf for the first time. Initially, this song spread to Tirol and was then brought to Germany by the choirs of the Zillertal. Owing mainly to the families Strasser and Rainer, the carol was known in Leibzig in 1831 and by the year 1839 it was known even in New York.

In the 1830s, the song was distributed in print in the cities of Dresden and Leipzig and thus became widely known. However, the authors of the song remained unknown. It was only in 1854 that the authorship of the song became known, after an inquiry of the royal Prussian "Hofkapelle" (royal band of Prussia): lyrics by Joseph Mohr; music by Franz Xaver Gruber.

Today, this carol is known all over the world and it is being sung in more than 130 different languages.